"Justiceline: December 20, 2011"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Politico details the lavish salaries one can earn as the head of a corporate lobby group. The head of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, for example, lives large with a $4.8 million salary.
- Anti-abortion, anti-birth control “personhood” advocates are collecting signatures to place their ballot initiative on the Nevada ballot.
- Sens. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) and Tom Coburn (R-OK) spiked the nomination of Arvo Mikkanen to a federal judgeship in Oklahoma. They refuse to tell anyone why, however.
- The Eleventh Circuit overturned a death row inmates death sentence. The most likely outcome of this development is that the man will still spend the rest of his life in prison.
- A Texas case that is being closely watched because it could present the conservative Roberts Court with a vehicle to kill affirmative action altogether may have a procedural problem that will prevent the Supreme Court from deciding it.