Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- The Ninth Circuit will rule today on whether California’s unconstitutional Proposition 8 strips gay couples of their right to equal protection of the laws.
- Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) takes the lead in fighting a voter-disenfranchising voter ID law in his state.
- A federal judge in Tennessee ruled that that state’s laws make it too difficult for third parties to get on the ballot.
- A federal judge in Illinois dismissed a case brought by two gun lobby groups claiming that a state ban on guns in public is unconstitutional.
- Corporate defendants are already using the recent Walmart decision limiting class actions to undermine the environment.
- Former Speaker Newt Gingrich drops his effort to get on the Virginia ballot via lawsuit. No word yet on whether he will send federal marshals to intimidate the judges who already ruled against him.
- And, finally, a leading right-wing judges group falls madly, passionately out of love with Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) over his decision to nominate a gay man to the New Jersey Supreme Court.