"Justiceline: February 9, 2012"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- A federal judge in San Diego holds that whales are not people. Unlike, say, Walmart, or Bank of America.
- Meanwhile, another federal court in Virginia struck down a fairly obviously unconstitutional prison policy which allowed inmates to receive spoken word CDs but only if they were religious.
- The Supreme Court allows a court order placing Ohio’s death penalty system under federal court supervision to remain in effect, at least for now.
- The City of Chicago gets hit with a $400,000 legal bill after losing a major Supreme Court case expanding the Second Amendment to states and localities.
- The right-wing Heritage Foundation puts out a factsheet that pretends to oppose unconstitutional “nullification” laws, before praising unconstitutional state laws that attempt to nullify the Affordable Care Act.