Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Justice Stephen Breyer was robbed by a machete-wielding assailant while vacationing in the Caribbean with his wife.
- Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire (D) signed marriage equality into law in that state. Unfortunately, implementation of the law will likely be delayed as anti-gay groups are already planning to force a voter referendum that can halt the law until after the November election.
- Infamous Virginia Del. Robert G. Marshall (R) brings the anti-abortion, anti-contraception Personhood debate to Virginia.
- Meanwhile, some of his colleagues in the state house want to allow more people to be executed.
- Atlanta police arrested a suspect in a brutal hate crime against a gay man.
- Lawyers challenging California’s ban on affirmative action run afoul of a previous Ninth Circuit precedent upholding the law.