Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Anti-immigrant Sheriff Joe Arpaio gave presidential candidate Rick Santorum an advance briefing on the sheriff’s birther investigation into President Barack Obama.
- A pro-gun website suggests that gun groups should support President Obama’s reelection bid because spreading false conspiracy theories about Obama’s plans to take away peoples’ guns is both a huge boost to the gun industry and to the NRA’s membership.
- The Supreme Court held that a Japanese couple could be deported after they plead guilty in a tax case.
- The Court also limited the Miranda rights of prisoners, holding that persons in custody do not need to be reread their Miranda rights if they are suspected of a new crime while incarcerated.
- Anti-gay litigants in California ask a larger panel of the Ninth Circuit to review the recent decision striking down Prop 8, a move that is unlikely to succeed but likely to delay the case even longer.
- A Mississippi lawmaker tries to revive “Personhood” in that state even after voters soundly rejected the anti-abortion, anti-contraception proposal.