"Justiceline: March 23, 2012"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Before you do anything else this morning, go read Dahlia Lithwick on why the Supreme Court will uphold the Affordable Care Act. It’s not because the ACA is constitutional — although the ACA is clearly and obviously constitutional — it’s because by rejecting the frivolous argument against the ACA, the Roberts Court can buy itself political cover to run much of the rest of the Constitution “through the wood chipper.”
- The California Assembly voted 48-22 in favor of a resolution opposing the Supreme Court’s election-buying decision in Citizens United.
- Tea Party Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) brings his scorched earth campaign of opposition to all nominees to his own state.
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s (R) approval rating takes a major hit after his support of invasive ultrasound and NRA fantasy bills.
- A Florida judge rules red light cameras unconstitutional.
- And, finally, condolences to the family of John Payton, President of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. He died last night at 65.