Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Justice Diane Hathaway, a member of the Michigan Supreme Court, allegedly engaged in a questionable scheme to shuffle ownership of some of her four homes among her family members in order to get out from under the debt she owed on one of the properties.
- A federal appeals court upheld a New York law regulating kosher labeling of food.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs will not defend the unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act.
- Liliana Segura tells the story of Trina, a mentally ill victim of horrific child abuse who committed a terrible crime when she was 14 and has now spent more than three decades in prison.
- Former half-term governor and reality TV star Sarah Palin endorses Texas U.S. Senate candidate Ted Cruz — yes, the guy who thinks that George Soros is leading a massive United Nations plot to destroy the game of golf.