"Justiceline: August 14, 2012"
- The Obama Administration filed a brief yesterday defending the University of Texas’ racial diversity policy. Although the Supreme Court reaffirmed in 2003 that university admissions departments may take race into account in order to foster diversity on campus, that was before conservative Justice Samuel Alito joined the Court, likely giving it a fifth vote to strike down such policies.
- Two Ohio lawmakers introduced a copycat bill seeking to enact parts of Arizona’s anti-immigrant law that were not struck down by the Supreme Court.
- A federal court in Nevada will hear arguments in a marriage equality case this week.
- The conservative American Spectator publishes a surprisingly candidate headline admitting what conservatives have wanted ever since they lost control of the White House: “Needed: Judicial Activism.”
- And, finally, apparently there are conservatives concerned that Ted Cruz, the far right conspiracy theorist who was born in Canada to an American mother, cannot constitutionally be president. Live by the paranoid theory. Die by the paranoid theory.