"Justiceline: October 9, 2012"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- After a recent decision striking down a federal law making it illegal to lie about military honors, candidates for political office may now have a constitutional right to lie.
- California voters won’t simply be able to abolish the death penalty this November, they also have the opportunity to ease the state’s harsh “three strikes” sentencing policy.
- Federal judges may receive a paid raise.
- Former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, who is currently campaigning for his old job, claims “same sex marriage will be the ultimate destruction of our country.”
- The Indiana U.S. Senate race between conservative Democrat Joe Donnelly and anti-Medicare, anti-Social Security Tea Partier Richard Mourdock is on track to be the most expensive in that state’s history.