Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- SCOTUS watcher Jeff Toobin believes Justice Scalia will step down if Mitt Romney wins the presidential election, ensuring that his seat will remain in Republican hands.
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell joins the list of top-level Republicans giving a helping hand to Indiana U.S. Senate candidate Richard Mourdock. Mourdock believes Medicare and Social Security are unconstitutional.
- Our condolences to the family of Judge Otto R. Skopil Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, who died last week at the age of 93.
- New Hampshire’s Republican former Gov. Stephen Merrill reminds the country that there was a time when even GOPers believed that the judiciary should be independent of political pressure.
- And, finally, Justice Kagan’s status on the Awesome-O-Meter ticks up another notch because she is a huge super hero geek.