Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Posting may be light today on account of the hurricane.
- A new biography reports that the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist convinced Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) to vote against the federal ban on whites-only lunch counters.
- Retired Justice John Paul Stevens wants to amend the Constitution to overrule two Supreme Court decisions restricting the federal government from using state officials to carry out national policies.
- Indiana U.S. Senate candidate Richard Mourdock (R), of rape is a “gift from God” infamy, spent $6.8 million in his bid to become a senator.
- The Roberts Court could announce that it is taking a case that could eviscerate the Voting Rights Act as soon as today.