"Justiceline: January 2, 2013"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- And we’re back. Did anything important happen while we were gone?
- Conservative Chief Justice John Roberts calls upon the Senate and the president to actually get about the business of confirming new judges: “At the close of 2012, twenty-seven of the existing judicial vacancies are designated as presenting judicial emergencies. I urge the Executive and Legislative Branches to act diligently in nominating and confirming highly qualified candidates to fill those vacancies.”
- President Obama marked the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, which was yesterday.
- The Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands now appeals directly to the Supreme Court of the United States, bypassing a trip through the Third Circuit that was once required by law.
- Pennsylvania plans to sue the NCAA to challenge sanctions levied against Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
- And, finally, Wisconsin state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R) claims the Kwanzaa is part of the War on Christmas.