Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Sixty-two members of the South Dakota legislature signed on to a bill wrongly declaring that the Second Amendment prevents “any and all federal initiatives directed at the restriction of gun ownership and the right of self defense.”
- Anti-gay defenders of California’s Proposition 8 are having a tough time raising enough money to defend the unconstitutional provision before the Supreme Court.
- Tea Party Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) originally started to work with the bipartisan group of senators crafting immigration reform, but quit because their proposals were not cruel enough to immigrants.
- The Virginia senate took the first step towards amending that state’s constitution to allow governors to serve consecutive terms.
- Massachusetts’ highest court upheld a law requiring “gun owners to keep their weapons in a locked container or equipped with a safety device.”