"Justiceline: February 11, 2013"
- Tea Party Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) backs off a previous suggestion that he might support legalizing marijuana: “I don’t want you to think that I’m going to land in the governor’s office and sign a legalization bill. I don’t think you have to worry about it getting to the governor’s desk but it’s worth knowing what your candidate’s saying.”
- Missouri Republican lawmakers are trying for the third time to enact a voter ID law in that state.
- A state House panel in Alaska advanced a so-called “stand your ground” bill which would make it easier for people who shoot others to escape without legal consequences.
- Justice Sotomayor backs off her previous view that the Supreme Court should allow camera in its Courtroom.
- And, finally, Justice Thomas’ rare decision to speak during an oral argument has now provoked a battle between court stenographers and a company seeking to replace them with digital voice recorders.