"Justiceline: March 6, 2013"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Senators will attempt to break a Senate Republican filibuster of Caitlin Halligan to a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit this morning. Part of what is at stake is whether a fringe political lobby that believes we must arm ourselves to defend against scary Latinos and the collapse of civil society should have a veto power over judges.
- The Maryland Senate is expected to vote on a bill to repeal the death penalty today.
- Meanwhile, North Carolina Republicans move forward with their plan to make it harder to vote in that state.
- The Minnesota House considers entering the National Popular Vote Compact, which would effectively eliminate the Electoral College if ratified by a sufficient number of states.
- And, finally, NASCAR and the National Rifle Association, together at last.