Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Pro tip: If you are going to be sworn in as CIA Director on a copy of the Constitution to emphasize your devotion to the rule of law, make sure you choose a copy that includes the Bill of Rights.
- Maryland moves one step closer to repealing the death penalty.
- An Oregon inmate wants the state supreme court to overturn Gov. John Kitzhaber’s (D) order saving him from execution.
- Joe McCarthy impersonator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is already attracting birthers. For the record, the Tea Party senator is no more ineligible for the presidency than the White House’s current occupant.
- And, finally, President Obama uses the McCarthyite senator to help reporters keep track of his most recent appointments: “With all these new faces, it’s hard to keep track of who is in, who is out. And I know it’s difficult for you guys as reporters. But I can offer you an easy way of remembering the new team. If Ted Cruz calls somebody a communist, then you know they’re in my cabinet.”