Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- Legislation to repeal the death penalty in Colorado, at least for future crimes, could be introduced as soon as this week.
- Meanwhile, Florida is considering amending its death penalty laws to require a unanimous jury to recommend killing a defendant before they can be sentenced to die. Florida and Alabama are the only states that do not already have this requirement, of the states where the death penalty is still allowed.
- Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) and Joe McCarthy impersonator Ted Cruz (R-TX) will headline an upcoming National Rifle Association conference this May. We can’t imagine two men more suited for the gig.
- Meanwhile, the NRA is stepping up its efforts to block new gun safety laws in Connecticut, where the Sandy Hook massacre occurred.
- And, finally, in case you needed another reason to think Justice Sotomayor is awesome, here you go.