After Bundy Arrest, Remaining Militia Says They Will Continue Occupation And Are Prepared To Die

CREDIT: Multnomah County

The mug shots of Ammon Bundy and other militants who were arrested on Tuesday night

Ammon Bundy, the leader of the militia illegally occupying a federal building, was arrested last night; another key member, Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, was killed in a confrontation with police.

But remaining members of the militia are vowing to continue their occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Jason Patrick, one of the remaining militants, compared Finicum’s death to the police killing of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old carrying a toy gun. “The government can kill who they want for whatever reason they want with impunity,” Patrick said.

In addition to Bundy, at least 7 other militants were arrested. Separately, Jon Ritzheimer, a militant leader who gained prominence with a viral video complaining about people who sent dildos to the refuge, surrendered to authorities in Arizona.

A militia network, Operation Mutual Defense, implored members around the country to join the occupation. “You have an obligation to proceed to the Harney County Resource Center immediately. If you fail to arrive, you will demonstrate by your own actions that your previous statements to defend life, liberty, and property were false,” the group said in a statement released last night.

Law enforcement has, until this point, allowed members of the militia to come and go from the refuge. But the FBI and Oregon State Police have now established security checkpoints around the facility. According to an FBI statement, “the only people allowed to pass into the checkpoints will be Harney County ranchers who own property in those specific areas.”

The relationship between the militia in law enforcement has deteriorated in recent weeks as the group destroyed property on the refuge and refused to substantively negotiate with the FBI.

The occupation, thus far, has lasted over three weeks at a cost in excess of $133,000 per day.