Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too.
– Between the Faith and Freedom Coalition Conference this weekend and Phyllis Schlafly’s Eagle Forum Collegians late last week, there have been plenty of podiums available for conservatives to attack the LGBT community. Make sure you check out the following:
- Jim Garlow comparing same-sex adoption to children losing their parents on 9/11.
- Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) calling on all states to pass constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage.
- Rep. Allen West (R-FL) linking same-sex marriage (an “oxymoron”) to the nation’s debt and legal abortion.
- Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-MO) comparing marriage equality to pedophilia, incest, and a 3-year-old driving.
– Gen. Martin Dempsey, President Obama’s nominee for the next chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, reports that the Army is “on track” for the repeal of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,” having just launched a new website in anticipation of the policy change. A Marine serving in Afghanistan recently asked Secretary of Defense Robert Gates if he could leave because serving with gays and lesbians did not fit his values. Gates said the Marine would have to complete his enlistment just like everybody else.
– Two Virginia Delegates have condemned Del. Bob Marshall (R) for his anti-gay rhetoric regarding the flying of a rainbow flag at the Richmond Federal Reserve.
– The Scottish government has committed to begin a “consultation” on full marriage equality.
– Check out this great commentary from Maya Rupert about How Marriage Equality Can Save the Black Family.