Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too.
– Last night, CNN aired the first part of an Anderson Cooper 360 special called “The Sissy Boy Experiment,” about a young man whose life was ruined by gender-norming therapy. Watch Part 1 here, and tune in tonight for Part 2. Make sure to also check out Jim Burroway’s extended investigations of the story at Box Turtle Bulletin.
– The White House has confirmed that it will again be holding a reception later this month to observe LGBT Pride. No details are available for what may come of the event. Might it be the perfect opportunity for President Obama to finally end his “evolution” toward supporting marriage equality? Or, like the recent White House website, will it just be another opportunity to boast about the administration’s past accomplishments?
– We reported yesterday about a correctional officer who was prepared to take legal action because he was forbidden from marching in the West Hollywood Pride Parade in uniform. The Department of Corrections has reversed its decision, and Andrew Johnson will now be welcome to march.
– A Unitarian minister in Kentucky has said that she will refuse to sign marriage licenses until same-sex couples have marriage equality. Her congregation follows in the footsteps of the Douglass Boulevard Christian Church, another Kentucky church that made the same decision in April.
– With only two weeks left in the legislative session, the pressure is on New York to pass marriage equality. The latest advocate is Tom Richards, the mayor of Rochester.
– A survey in Australia shows that 75 percent of Australians think marriage equality is inevitable. Support for marriage equality there was as high as 62 percent in 2010, much higher than the slim majority now seen in U.S. polls.
– Right-wing loon Ann Coulter appeared on Piers Morgan last night and was quite nonplussed when he asked her how she would feel if one of her children turned out to be gay. Watch her reaction (via Towleroad):