Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too.
- Last night CNN aired Part 2 of “The Sissy Boy Experiment” about the harmful impact of gender-norming therapy. Tune in tonight for the third and final part of the special. (Watch: Part 1, Part 2, Read: “What You Didn’t See On CNN.”)
- Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) has introduced the “Tax Parity for Health Plan Beneficiaries Act,” which would protect same-sex couples from the additional tax burden they have to pay on partner health benefits.
- In related news, the city of Cambridge, MA is going to join numerous businesses and universities in offering an extra stipend to same-sex married public employees to defray the discriminatory obligation.
- White House Press Secretary Jay Carney avoided questions yesterday about the deportation of same-sex partners who can’t get citizenship under DOMA, offering only that the President supports comprehensive immigration reform.
- A number of GOP presidential candidates (Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Gary Johnson, and Rick Santorum) have all signed up to participate in a Tea Party Bus Tour across Iowa. Right Wing Watch reports that the tour is supported by a number of conservative groups with anti-LGBT reputations.
- It’s Pride Month! Do you know why we have pride parades? Queerty has a quick primer on how the Stonewall Riots got things started over 40 years ago.