Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too.
– Start spreading the news… Well, not yet. There’s still no vote in New York, but insiders are as optimistic as ever that marriage equality will soon pass. Both proponents and opponents have lined the halls of Albany’s Capitol, chanting, singing, and protesting. Good As You’s Jeremy Hooper documents a conflict yesterday between some members of the Jewish community and profiles the cast of NOM’s characters. As we wait to see whether Senate Majority Leader Skelos holds to his word and schedules a vote, supporters of the bill will rally today at noon for “Love and Marriage.”
- Speaking of state votes on marriage, New Jersey Senator Stephen Sweeney (D) said this week that his vote against marriage equality was the “biggest mistake” of his political career.
- With the push for marriage in New York, the heat is also on in the White House Press Briefing Room as reporters push Press Secretary Jay Carney on the President’s position on marriage equality. MetroWeekly’s Chris Geidner points out that not only might the President’s “evolution” come soon, but it will be televised every step of the way.
- Openly gay presidential candidate Fred Karger was heckled yesterday in a New Hampshire parking lot by a Rick Santorum supporter who was angry that he took up her time testifying in the state House, presumably against LGBT rights. She told him to “Go back to California, Fred. You’re not in the debate.”
- Meet the Gingrich and Bachmann “glitter-bombers.”
- The tiny European country of Liechtenstein voted to recognize same-sex couples, though they will still be barred from adopting children or accessing reproductive medical services.
- Here’s a little study that came out a few weeks ago; take from it what you will. Apparently, among men who self-identify as “heterosexual,” those who were the most homophobic were the most aroused when watching gay porn.
- By the way, try Googling “gay” this month; see what happens!