"The Morning Pride: July 1, 2011"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too.
- It’s barely been a week, but New York is already starting to feel the economic benefits of marriage equality!
- Washington’s newest gubernatorial candidates, Rep. Jay Inslee (D) supports full marriage equality.
- Upon the Rhode Island legislature’s passing of civil unions, Providence Bishop Thomas Robin condemned “homosexual activity” as “contrary to the natural law and the will of God” and declared that because civil unions promote an “unacceptable lifestyle,” “Catholics may not participate” in them.
- Equality Matters points out that when Pat Robertson said God will destroy America for marriage equality, his remarks weren’t so far removed from other anti-gay voices in the Family Research Council and National Organizations for Marriage.
- The Weekly Standard’s idea of a joke is apparently the very notion transgender people deserve rights.
- The egregiously anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church participated in training police officers and F.B.I. agents about engaging with the activist community.
- Religious voices often seem like the enemy, but here is a very supportive endorsement of marriage equality from Rabbi Joshua Hammerman. He says, “granting equal rights is the right moral choice.”
- An editorial cartoon from the Dallas Voice: