Homophobia Rampant Among Israel Defense Forces | A new survey from the Israeli Gay Youth movement finds that gay, lesbian, and bisexual soldiers face significant stigma and harassment within the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) that is often ignored by commanders:
- 40 percent of soldiers were verbally abused due to their sexual orientation.
- 20 percent claimed to have been physically or sexually assaulted due to their sexual orientation.
- 49 percent of soldiers who hear homophobic comments in military bases ignore them and do not respond.
- 37 percent participate and join in making fun of the gay soldier.
- Only 13 percent reprimand soldiers who are making fun of a gay soldier.