Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– Salt Lake City has now had its third anti-gay attack in two weeks.
– The Department of Education has announced it will be holding the second annual Federal Partners in Bullying Prevention Summit later this month.
– The California legislature has passed the Insurance Nondiscrimination Act (SB 757), which requires insurers to provide the same coverage for domestic partners as they do for spouses.
– The Colorado teen who sought to pass marriage equality through a ballot measure has abandoned the effort, recognizing it would be too difficult and expensive to gather all 86,105 valid signatures himself.
– Students at Sequoyah High School in Madisonville, TN are struggling to form a Gay-Straight Alliance, but the school is essentially not letting them because no teacher will advise the group.
– A member of the National Organization for Marriage’s board rewrote Hamlet so that all of the tragedy is the fault of Old King Hamlet being a gay pedophile.
– The Presbyterian Church of Ghana (PSG) has severed its ties to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) because it now ordains openly gay and lesbian clergy. PSG has been establishing ex-gay therapy centers throughout Ghana.
– The Archbishop of Glasgow, Mario Conti, has said that allowing same-sex marriage would be “foolish” and render marriage “meaningless.”
– Argentina has had its first gay military marriage.
– Nepal may soon legally recognize people who are third gender.
– Jeremy Redlien offers the “Top 20 Things That Owe Their Existence to Queers.”
– A thought experiment: Does having different marriage laws in different states essentially facilitate polygamy?
– The ACLU would like to know when NFL teams will start making “It Gets Better” videos.
– A new site, gayhomophobe.com, keeps track of homophobic people who get caught in gay sex scandals.
– Joy Behar explains that the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York helped motivate her to marry her boyfriend of 29 years.
– This week’s Dallas Voice cartoon ponders how viewers might respond to Chaz Bono being on Dancing With The Stars: