Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell is officially history, and HBO has a gripping look at its “strange history.” Servicemembers Legal Defense Network has some guidance for servicemembers who may be participating in celebratory events today.
- Navy Lt. Gary Ross married his partner last night just after the stroke of midnight.
- DC residents celebrated the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell last night with a countdown at midnight.
- YouTube user AreYouSuprised, who has been making anonymous videos about coming out to his military unit, revealed his face last night as he came out to his father on the phone. Watch the powerful moment:
- Andy Towle has the scoop from last night’s Broadway premiere of “8,” including a surprise appearance from the National Organization for Marriage’s Maggie Gallagher.
- Yesterday marked one year since a young man named Seth Walsh took his own life because of bullying he faced for being gay. California’s new anti-bullying law, “Seth’s Law,” is named in his honor.
- Medical Traveler Yucatan has introduced its first transgender surgery procedure.