"The Morning Pride: October 25, 2011"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out too. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Joe.My.God has a slideshow of pictures from last evening’s rally for LGBT homeless youth.
- Portland, Maine will get its first look at “Question One,” a documentary about the 2009 effort to ban same-sex marriage in Maine.
- Parents in Windermere, Florida are upset that their high school students have been invited to participate in “Switch-A-Roo” Day, a cross-dressing event as part of Olympia High School’s homecoming celebrations.
- How low will the National Organization for Marriage sink? Apparently, they’ll try to appeal to the 99 percent movement, steal an Obama campaign rally photo for their New Hampshire campaign, claim that children are learning too much about safe sex, and demand the President fund the proliferation of junk science in court cases.
- Randy Thomasson continues to rage against California’s FAIR Education Act, now claiming that college Queer Studies courses are a “very dangerous…infection.”
- Warren Throckmorton points out that only about a quarter of the members of NARTH (National Association for the Research and Therapy of Homosexuality) claim to be mental health professionals. The rest are all lay people, ministers, and activists who are merely interested in the ex-gay therapy NARTH promotes.
- Polls suggest New London, Connecticut may soon have an openly gay mayor.
- MSNBC takes a look at the experience of LGBT Muslims.
- A transgender woman is suing the state of Florida for her false arrest and gender discrimination.
- The Scotland man who was tortured to death for being gay may also have been sexually assaulted. Homophobic Twitter users have been mocking his death, suggesting he “got what he deserved” and his death “will teach people not to be gay.”
- Denmark might soon get marriage equality for same-sex couples!