Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– Michele Bachmann still opposes marriage equality and still doesn’t understand the role of the courts.
– The Albany Times Union published an extensive feature yesterday on the lives of transgender people. Learn about the process of transitioning, the supporting therapists, transgender demographics, transgender terminology — plus meet Lana White, Pat, Jenna Belle-Winter, Mona Rae Mason, Mary and Betsy, Christopher Argyros, Acey Mercer, Kym Dorsey, Wendy Moore, Evan Lafortune, and Robin Muse, and see all their photos.
– Former New York Times critic Chandler Burr is trying to adopt two boys from Colombia, but the government there won’t let him because he is gay.
– Will the National Organization for Marriage bring its financial disclosure fight to North Carolina?
– The outgoing mayor of Raleigh opposes the marriage inequality amendment.
– North Carolina state Rep. Marcus Brandom (D) debates one of the pastors supporting the amendment.
– The mayor of Troy, Michigan, Janice Daniels, is on the defense for making a Facebook comment about her distaste that New York “queers can get married.”
– What’s it like to be a young trans person of color in D.C.?
– The State Department accommodates its transgender employees.
– Delaware same-sex couples prepare for civil unions to become legal on Jan. 5.
– A University of Central Florida class has made a documentary on the LGBT witch-hunts of the Johns Committee.
– A leader in the ex-gay movement has retracted his claim that antidepressants can help change a same-sex orientation.
– The Church of England has dismissed any concerns that new civil partnership rights will impose on religious liberties.
– More than 140,000 Australians have signed a petition supporting marriage equality.
– A Philippines health official has suggested parents “should rein in their homosexual children.”
– The European Parliament is urging Croatia to extend protections to its gay citizens before it can join the European Union.
– Meet the actor from Australia’s viral marriage equality ad.
– A video made by 8th grader Jonah Mowry about the bullying he has experienced has gone viral. He says he is okay and thankful for all the support. Watch, and have a tissue handy: