"The Morning Pride: January 5, 2012"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s 8:45 AM round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– Less than one week into 2012, the National Organization for Marriage has already spread multiple lies about marriage equality.
– The purveyor of those lies was Bishop Harry Jackson, who recently raised money to fight same-sex marriage in Maryland by speaking in tongues and calling gays a “perversion” and their marriages “an assault” that “corrupts, perverts, and pollutes.”
– The ex-gay group NARTH is also doing its part, promoting reparative therapy by continuing to blatantly distort research in defiance of the researchers’ outspoken complaints.
– Eagan, Minnesota’s City Council unanimously voted this week to establish a voluntary domestic partnership registry for any unmarried couples of any makeup.
– Maryland’s AFL-CIO, which has over 300,000 members, has announced its support for same-sex marriage legislation.
– Hawaii Congressional candidate Tulsi Gabbard (D) describes changing her mind on abortion and same-sex marriage.
– Dallas County Community College has approved nondiscrimination protections for transgender students and staff.
– Meet transgender comic Ian Harvie.