Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- House Republicans are wasting no time in requesting the Supreme Court consider a case challenging the Defense of Marriage Act.
- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I) and Council Speaker Christine Quinn (D) have committed to supporting Edie Windsor in her case against DOMA.
- A lesbian employee in New York is suing a Catholic hospital for using DOMA to deny her spouse the same medical insurance coverage provided to spouses of heterosexual employees.
- The Southern Baptist Convention resolved yesterday that same-sex marriage is not a civil rights issue.
- Unlike his predecessor, the new Iowa-Nebraska NAACP Conference president accepts the organization’s support of same-sex marriage.
- The California General Assembly Judiciary Committee advanced a bill this week ensuring marriage only be treated as a civil contract.
- New Hampshire has a new conservative group known as Families Across New Hampshire, which will continue to advocate for the repeal of marriage equality.