Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- President Obama will not be attending the 19th International AIDS Conference, but will prepare a video message.
- According to the geography of tolerance, there is a strong connection between how open a community is to gays and lesbians and how open it is to entrepreneurs with new ideas: “where gay households abound, geeks follow.”
- When called out for supporting anti-gay organizations, Chik-fil-A responded, “Well, guilty as charged.”
- A 19-year-old Eagle Scout was fired from his summer camp job and kicked out of the Boy Scouts after coming out as gay.
- The University of Montevideo, one of the top universities in Uruguay, has accepted the resignation of a candidate for dean who described homosexuality as an “anomaly” that would “hamper” the hiring of a professor.
- Meet the first openly gay writer in Morocco.
- AMC’s new reality show Small Town Security features Lt. Dennis Croft, who openly identifies as trans.
- One of the world’s fiercest Starcraft 2 professional champions is also trans.