"Family Equality Council Releases ‘Family Values’ Platform"
The Family Equality Council has released a new platform that addresses the need of “Modern Families,” those being raised by same-sex parents. The new document serves as an alternative to the anti-gay condemnations of the Republican Party platform and fleshes out just how marriage equality and other protections will help children:
We are a nation of blended and multi-generational families, adoptive and foster families, families headed by single parents, divorced parents, unmarried parents, same-sex couples, and more. American families may be diverse, but we all have at least one thing in common—we want our children to be safe, healthy, happy and supported. When our families are rendered invisible, our ability to provide for each other and our children comes under attack. As a nation, we must honor and support the many kinds of families that exist, rather than dismiss the vast majority of households in this country as second-class. We call for the full inclusion of all families, including familiesheaded by lGBT people and same-sex couples, in the life of our nation. all families are entitled to equalrecognition under the law with responsibilities, benefits and protections.
Here are some of the calls to action offered by the platform:
- Standardize the definition of “family” on forms and documents without assuming there is always a “mother” and a “father.”
- Pass the Every Child Deserves a Family Act to ensure same-sex couples’ right to adopt or serve as foster parents.
- Achieve full federal recognition of same-sex marriage to allow all families to access the same economic benefits and legal securities.
- Pass the Safe Schools Improvement Act and Student Non-Discrimination Act to create safe learning communities for LGBT youth and the children of LGBT parents.
- Pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act to ensure LGBT families are not vulnerable to workplace discrimination.
- Expand healthcare provisions to ensure same-sex families have equal access to the care they need.
- Pass the Housing Opportunities Made Equal Act to make sure LGBT people are protected from housing discrimination.
- Pass the Uniting American Families Act, the DREAM Act, and Comprehensive Immigration Reform to ensure same-sex families are never separated by antiquated immigration laws.
- Reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act with explicit domestic violence protections for LGBT people.
The Family Equality Council has also released a video about the impact of inequality on children: