"The Morning Pride: January 17, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has signed Lambda Legal’s petition supporting marriage equality in Illinois.
- Police are not revealing details about possible leads in the repeated vandalism of copies of the Washington Blade.
- Members of the Washington, DC City Council opposed to marriage equality have been appointed to committees related to LGBT and AIDS issues.
- DC Council member David Catania (I) has introduced a bill to legalize surrogacy parenting in the city.
- Because of the presence of the anti-gay Courage ministry, many University of Toronto students are leaving the local Catholic parish.
- Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanöe is imposing a €100,000 ($133,000) fine on the anti-marriage equality protesters from this past weekend for damaging the grass on the Champs-de-Mars.
- Australian scientists may have found a way to prevent the HIV virus from replicating.