"The Morning Pride: January 18, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– Sen. Kirsten Gilibran (D-NY) is leading a new charge to protect bi-national same-sex couples from being separated because the Defense of Marriage Act obstructs their immigration rights.
– The Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins believe the “It Gets Better” message is “a deceptive lie” to LGBT youth, but studies show that the rejection Perkins promotes is to blame for their depression.
– Former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey has abandoned his quest for the priesthood and now wants to marry his partner.
– Several same-sex couples attempted to marry in Arlington, Virginia on Thursday as part of the “We Do” campaign.
– LGBT-friendly advice columnist Pauline Friedman Phillips — Dear Abby — has passed away at age 94.