"The Morning Pride: February 4, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Planning to March 4 Marriage Equality before the Supreme Court oral arguments? Like this Facebook page.
- Listen to the Alabama teacher who thinks Michelle Obama is a “big fat gorilla” and who says, “I don’t believe in queers, I don’t like queers… I don’t like being around queers.”
- A group of Indiana same-sex couples tied the knot in a symbolic mass ceremony officiated by Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan.
- Colorado Republicans who support civil unions are trying to rebrand their party image.
- Not all the legislation in Tennessee is bad; Sen. Jim Kyle (D) has introduced the Dignity for All Students Act, which creates bullying protections for LGBT students.
- Schools don’t get safer on their own.
- Rutgers University will name its new student center for Tyler Clementi, the student who committed suicide after his privacy was violated by his roommate.
- The British High Court has ruled that men who donate sperm can apply to have a role in the lives of their biological children.
- Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs wouldn’t have a problem with a gay teammate.
- But former NFL star Barry Sanders worries a gay player would get teased.
- A trans teen had the opportunity to take the ice with his hero, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider.