"The Morning Pride: April 30, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- LGBT groups are petitioning the Pentagon not to allow Pastor Greg Laurie to headline its Day of Prayer this week because of his history of anti-gay evangelism.
- Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) is “really optimistic we’re within striking distance” of passing marriage equality.
- The death of a transgender woman in Ohio has once again led to insensitive reporting about her identity.
- Florida’s Lake County School Board is attempting all sorts of spin to avoid taking responsibility for blocking the formation of a student gay-straight alliance, with one member even questioning how a teenager knows her own sexual orientation.
- Northern Ireland narrowly voted 42-53 against introducing marriage equality.
- Watch Ellen DeGeneres congratulate NBA player Jason Collins on coming out: