"The Morning Pride: May 1, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee reapproved marriage equality Tuesday. The full House will reconsider the Senate-amended bill on Thursday, with Gov. Lincoln Chafee planning to sign it at 5:45 PM.
– The New York Assembly has approved the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act for the sixth time, but the Senate has defeated it every time in the past.
– Today could be a big day for marriage equality in Delaware.
– Ireland’s Gender Recognition Bill has been delayed a year, meaning transgender people will have to wait another full year to request birth certificates that match their gender.
– Nearly half of French soccer players are “hostile to gay people.”
– Two more Brazilian states, Paraíba and Santa Catarina, have approved marriage equality, bringing the total to 13states.
More Jason Collins News
– Lance Bass gave Jason Collins advice about coming out, noting that he had no such support.
– Collins has already inspired young sportswriter Tony Jovenitti to come out as well.
– Fox News significantly under-reported the news of Collins’ coming out.
– Judy Shepard said her family was “very touched” by the revelation that Collins has worn jersey 98 in honor of Matthew.
– Tennis players Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish have joined Athlete Ally to support out athletes like Collins.
– According to Stephen Colbert, Collins’ coming out signals the last days of straight America.
– In case you missed it, watch Collins’ first interview since coming out on Monday: