"The Morning Pride: June 24, 2013"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- House Minority Speaker Nancy Pelosi told Netroots Nation that she would consider a discharge petition to bring a vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, but she doesn’t think it would pass.
- Eric Fanning, who is openly gay, will serve as Acting Secretary of the Air Force.
- The Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights has announced it intends to collect data about anti-LGBT bullying nationwide.
- A new study from Europe finds that hormone therapy for transgender people is both safe and effective.
- Activists in Florida are going to push to overturn the state’s constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.
- The New York Senate adjourned without considering the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA), meaning it will continue to be legal in the state to fire people just for being transgender.
- The Texas lesbian teen who was shot in the head and survived has recovered, but is still mourning her girlfriend, who died in the attack.
- The New York City man accused of murdering gay man Mark Carson has pleaded not guilty.
- Tuscon, Arizona has approved civil unions for same-sex couples.
- Johnson County, Iowa has settled a suit filed by a transgender woman who was denied use of a women’s restroom.
- The Nebraska School Activities Association has backtracked on its transgender-inclusive policy.
- The University of Missouri will now offer benefits to the same-sex partners of employees.
- The government of Nova Scotia will now cover gender reassignment surgeries as part of its health system.
- Meet the Mormon mother who originally supported Proposition 8, but upon discovering her son was gay has become an advocate on his behalf.
- Professional athletes in the San Francisco Bay Area say, “You can play.”
- “Transphobic” is officially a word in the Oxford English Dictionary.
- According to Sara Bareilles, marriage equality is “such an obvious development that just has to happen.”