Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– California has passed a bill making it easier for transgender people to legally change their names on their birth certificates to reflect their gender identity.
– The AFL-CIO has added nondiscrimination protections for gender identity and gender expression to its constitution.
– Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott (R) intends to challenge San Antonio’s new nondiscrimination ordinance.
– A group of 16 Texas lawmakers is calling on the state’s National Guard to process benefits for same-sex couples.
– North Carolina is the latest state to say that it will recognize same-sex couples in the National Guard despite its constitutional amendment banning marriage equality.
– California prison officials have confirmed that inmates have the same right to marry someone of the same sex as they do to marry someone of the opposite sex, but they are not allowed to marry fellow prisoners.
– A new study suggests that gays and lesbians who live in rural communities are actually happier than their counterparts in large metropolitan areas.
– A Pennsylvania transgender teen is vying for homecoming king after the school board told him he had to register on the female ballot.
– A judge in New York has dismissed a Catholic school’s request to dismiss a suit filed by a transgender teacher who alleges she was fired for transitioning, allowing her case to continue.
– Senegal’s new Justice Ministier, Sidiki Kaba, is going to stop opposing the nation’s law banning homosexuality now that he is in a position that requires him to execute it.
– The government of Oman has sued a newspaper for publishing a story about gay people who live there.
– DC Comics has hired an openly gay writer to replace the two Batwoman writers who claim they quit because they were not allowed to show Batwoman marry her same-sex fiance.