Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Today is Spirit Day, a day to take a stand against bullying. ThinkProgress is proud to partner with GLAAD by donning purple; check back later today for our team photo!
- A new poll shows that 56 percent of Virginians oppose a ban on same-sex marriage, while only 36 favor it, which does not bode well for anti-LGBT gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R).
- Ted Olson, one of the attorneys who helped fight Proposition 8 and continues to litigate on behalf of marriage equality, unfortunately donated $1,000 to Cuccinelli’s campaign.
- Pantex, the only nuclear assembly and disassembly plant in the U.S. — located in the Texas Panhandle — has extended health benefits to the same-sex spouses of employees.
- If the U.S. Olympic Committee now has a nondiscrimination policy with sexual orientation protections, how does that square with its rule requiring athletes to obey all foreign laws — including Russia’s ban on “gay propaganda”?
- Help support TransMilitary, a new web series documenting the many transgender military servicemembers who risk discharge to serve their country openly: