Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
– Today is the International Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day to keep in mind those whose lives have been lost and voices have been silenced because of transphobia. Check to see if there’s a vigil or other TDOR event near you.
– Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) will sign the marriage equality bill today, but what did it take for marriage equality to pass in Illinois?
– Purdue University’s faculty and staff have come out against the amendment, joining students who opposed it last week.
– Virginia lawmakers are proposing to repeal the state’s amendment banning same-sex marriage.
– The Tennessee same-sex couples suing for marriage equality have asked the judge to provide them immediate protection, especially because one of them is expecting a child in the spring and they want to both be legally recognized as their son or daughter’s parents.
– Nike has donated $280,000 to Oregon’s campaign to legalize same-sex marriage.
– A group of lesbians who were wrongly convicted of assaulting girls in a supposed Satanic ritual have been released after more than a decade in prison.
– The Air Force Academy has apparently hired a prominent ex-gay therapist as a cadet counseling chief.
– A California teacher who helped her LGBT students resist harassment they were experiencing from administrators is now fighting to get her own job back in much the same fashion.
– A young gay anti-bullying activist from Arizona is being charged with sexual misconduct with a minor for having a relationship with a 14-year-old when he was 16 or 17, but the charges only came about after it was revealed the two were victims of sexual misconduct by an adult police officer.
– The National Association of Realtors has added gender identity protections to its code of ethics.
– The Scottish Parliament is preparing to vote on marriage equality legislation.
– Read two stories from the grown children raised by lesbian moms.
– Advice columnist Amy Dickinson (“Ask Amy”) offered a stirring response to an anti-gay mom trying to force her son to be straight.