"The Morning Pride: February 6, 2014"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Attorney General Eric Holder referred to LGBT equality as “the defining civil rights challenge of our time.”
- Does the lawyer helping Utah fight marriage equality have a conflict of interest because of his lobbying activity?
- All four of Texas’s Republican gubernatorial candidates are (unsurprisingly) anti-LGBT.
- Opponents of marriage equality are now regularly comparing their cause to resisting slavery.
- A Missouri woman was denied Communion at her own mother’s funeral after the obituary revealed to her priest that she was in a same-sex relationship.
- A new report from Europe shows that transgender people experience discrimination, inconsistent protections, and inhuman treatment.
- LGBT activists have set up a parody “Cheers To Sochi” website to further co-opt social media campaigns from Olympic sponsors like McDonald’s and Coca-Cola, which have refused to condemn Russia’s anti-gay laws.