"The Morning Pride: February 27, 2014"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) has introduce legislation (S. 1982) that would ensure veterans can access benefits for their same-sex spouses.
- Champaign County has become the second Illinois county to begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
- Virginia’s school “religious expression” bill (SB 236) could create a license for anti-LGBT bullying.
- California will consider legislation that would prevent people from using a “gay panic” or “trans panic” defense in court to justify violence against the LGBT community.
- LGBT activists have protested in the Idaho Capitol once again, demanding nondiscrimination protections.
- A Georgia pastor kicked a Boy Scouts troop out of his church because of its new inclusion of gay Scouts, for which he received a standing ovation from his congregation. Another church has already welcomed the troop.
- An Arizona Tea Party defended Arizona’s “license to discriminate” bill by claiming, “The First Amendment protects only the practice of the Christian faith.”