"The Morning Pride: April 1, 2014"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- A Nebraska same-sex couple is petitioning for a divorce.
- A bill that would protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation has advanced in the Nebraska legislature.
- Housing nondiscrimination protections have been killed in Louisiana.
- A poll shows that Virginians support marriage equality 50–42.
- A transgender student says she was harassed, detaining, and suspended from campus for using a restroom at Central Piedmont Community College in North Carolina.
- A lesbian New York chef was awarded $1.6 million after the owner of the restaurant told her that “gay people” are “going to go to hell.”
- Iowa conservative Bob Vander Plaats is portrayed as the villain in a new anti-bullying comic book.
- Listen to how a Michigan family adopted a gay kid who was kicked out of his family.
- The president of Malta is refusing to sign a bill that would allow for same-sex civil unions and joint adoption, citing “moral grounds.”