"The Morning Pride: April 3, 2014"
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s daily round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but please let us know what stories you’re following as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) has said that he will sign the pro-discrimination “religious liberty” bill.
- A meningitis alert has been issued in Los Angeles for men who have sex with men; three man have reportedly already died.
- The Social Security Administration has updated its policies to ensure transgender people can receive benefits through their spouses.
- Mozilla’s now-CEO Brendan Eich, embattled for his Prop 8 donation, apparently also gave donations to Ron Paul and Pat Buchanan in the 1990s.
- Appleton, Wisconsin has elected the state’s first openly trans elected official to its city council.
- Nebraska student Michael Barth was told he would not be allowed to read his poem that won a state-wide competition on public television because of its pro-LGBT content, but the Nebraska School Activities Association has reversed its decision.
- Nevada’s Clark County Republican Party has removed its opposition to marriage equality from its platform.
- Jacqueline Fuller, director of corporate giving for Google, has resigned from World Vision’s board in protest of its recommitment to discriminating against employees who’ve married a same-sex partner.
- DJ Brian “B-Daht” McLaughlin has apologized for harassing a gay student running for a campus position at Winston-Salem State University.
- A new study finds that students who are gay or overweight continue to be targeted for more bullying than other students.
- The Australian High Court has ruled that an individual can be granted a non-specific gender status (not male or female).
- Ethiopia will host a massive anti-gay protest to raise awareness of the “severity” of the “homosexual agenda.”
- Ugandan police arrested two men for engaging in homosexuality.
- Dingle Oceanworld, a zoo in Ireland, has its first same-sex penguin couple: Penelope and Missy.
- The Harvey Milk stamp will officially be released on May 22.