Last week, nearly 100,000 of you came to ThinkProgress and wrote to Bob Iger — President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company — demanding ABC tell the truth about 9/11. Tens of thousands more wrote Disney Chairman George Mitchell and ABC affiliates. You had an impact:
– ABC stopped marketing Path to 9/11 as “based on the 9/11 report.”
– An extended disclaimer report ran three times during the first night alone.
– Scholastic stopped promoting Path to 9/11 to students.
– Prominent media commentators, including many conservatives, spoke out against the film.
– Substantial edits were made to the film.
In short, you accomplished a tremendous amount in less than a week.
Nevertheless, we remain disappointed that ABC decided to air several false and defamatory scenes. 9/11 is too important not to get it 100% right.
But ABC and the rest of the media now know that there is a large group of people out there who care deeply about the truth.