"Sherwood ‘Calling In Chits’ With Right-Wing Leaders"
Rep. Don Sherwood (R-PA) had a five-year affair with a 29-year-old woman that ended in 2004 when she called 911 after Sherwood allegedly tried to strangle her. The woman has now sued Sherwood “for what she alleges were repeated beatings that seriously injured her physically and emotionally.”
Sherwood acknowledges he had an affair with the woman, but denies the allegations of abuse.
Now he is in danger of losing his seat, and has been “calling in chits” with “campaign officials and House colleagues.” He’s getting good results. The embattled congressman received about $90,000 from campaign committees and House members in the three-month period ending Oct. 1, according to his latest campaign finance report to the FEC.
– Majority Leader John Boehner (R-OH): $2,000
– Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter (R-PA): $5,000
– Conference Chairwoman Deborah Pryce (R-OH): $5,000
– House Energy and Commerce Chairman Joe Barton (R-TX): $5,000
– Infrastructure Chairman Don Young (R-AK): at least $1,000
– Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R-VA): at least $1,000
– Rep. Richard Burr (R-NC): $5,000
– Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK): $5,000
– Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX): $5,000
In all, over 40 House conservatives contributed $1,000 or more to Sherwood in just the current quarter. But he’s just getting started. Sherwood “is expected to raise up to $400,000 at a Thursday fundraiser hosted by President Bush in Sherwood’s district.”