– A new Gallup poll concludes that Americans tend to be upbeat about their local economies and more pessimistic about the national and global economy, reinforcing the idea that “Americans are more positive about things at their personal, local level than they are about things ‘out there’ in a broader context.”
– Egyptians are calling for protests today after judges appointed by former dictator Hosni Mubarak dissolved the Islamist-dominated parliament yesterday and ruled that Mubarak’s former prime minister will be eligible for the presidential runoff election this weekend.
– The U.S. Department of Agriculture finds that raising a kid costs $234,900 in the U.S., a 3.5 percent jump from the cost in 2010.
– Another way to think about the “war on women“:
– And finally, the Florida Police Union included a choice message for Gov. Rick Scott in their quarterly newsletter: since Scott’s office ignored repeated requests from the local union to contribute a guest article to their newsletter, they spelled out the word “shitheads” with the first letter of each paragraph in the Executive Director’s column.