– Congress may be close to a temporary budget deal that would avert a government shutdown — at least until 2013.
– The Romney campaign has released an app to announce their vice presidential pick. The Obama campaign has also released an app, which contains information of how and where to vote, along with a rundown of voter ID laws in the user’s state.
– A new book, The Rise of the President’s Permanent Campaign, shows how reelection campaign fundraising has escalated over the years, exacerbated by deregulation that has pushed Obama to break fundraising records:
– Shortly after Romney said that Israel is less safe with Obama in office, Israeli Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Ehud Barak praised the president’s policies, declaring, “President Obama is doing in regard to our security more than anything that I can remember in the past.”
– And finally, volatile food prices, a growing population, and climate change may mean we’ll all be eating “sonic-enhanced” food and lab-grown meat in 20 years.