– In boring but very important news for the economy, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will give a speech at the Jackson Hole Economic Symposium today at 10 a.m. — the venue has been used by Fed chairmen in the past to announce new rounds of monetary stimulus.
– In 2008, the Republican Party’s platform had a long and detailed section on “Addressing Climate Change Responsibly,” but that passage completely disappeared from the 2012 version and was replaced by blanket opposition to “any and all cap and trade legislation.”
– Real median income for working-age families declined over the last decade:
– Bucking current national trends, legislation is successfully making its way through the California legislature that expands access to abortion in the state.
– And finally, a hologram of Ronald Reagan was originally meant to debut at the GOP convention, but Republican officials ultimately killed the idea due to worries it would upstage Mitt Romney’s acceptance speech.